I know I’m not the only person considering how I will “be better” next year. Whether it’s “eat less” or “workout more”, everyone wants to do better at the start of a new year. Being the thick-headed Americans that we are though, we set these high expectations for ourselves, stress out when we don’t reach them, and then go right back to the place where we started.
That’s why this year I think I’m going to take the more humble route and shoot for some smaller resolutions. Like many people my age, or maybe it’s just me, we stress and sweat the small stuff. We’re always thinking about who might be judging us, what job we didn’t get and why, what boyfriend dumped us and WHY why why(?!), what best friend isn’t being supportive, etc. It’s crazy!
We’re going to drive ourselves mad if we haven’t done so already. Moreover, I’d like to thank Mind Body Green and Shannon Kaiser for the resolution-inspiration below related to “letting go“.
I probably need to let go of everything on this list but I won’t overdo it because I really do need to actively try to not think so much. I mean, I already died my hair last week because I had like 6 white hairs on my head. This cannot continue! I’m too young! The bold numbers below are the ones I’d like to focus on because I stress about them the most.
WHAT ACHIEVABLE RESOLUTIONS ARE YOU MAKING?
1. Let go of all thoughts that don’t make you feel empowered and strong.
2. Let go of feeling guilty for doing what you truly want to do.
3. Let go of the fear of the unknown; take one small step and watch the path reveal itself.
4. Let go of regrets; at one point in your life, that “whatever” was exactly what you wanted.
5. Let go of worrying; worrying is like praying for what you don’t want.
6. Let go of blaming anyone for anything; be accountable for your own life. If you don’t like something, you have two choices, accept it or change it.
7. Let go of thinking you are damaged; you matter, and the world needs you just as you are.
8. Let go of thinking your dreams are not important; always follow your heart.
9. Let go of being the “go-to person” for everyone, all the time; stop blowing yourself off and take care of yourself first … because you matter.
10. Let go of thinking everyone else is happier, more successful or better off than you. You are right where you need to be. Your journey is unfolding perfectly for you.
11. Let go of thinking there’s a right and wrong way to do things or to see the world. Enjoy the contrast and celebrate the diversity and richness of life.
12. Let go of cheating on your future with your past. It’s time to move on and tell a new story.
13. Let go of thinking you are not where you should be. You are right where you need to be to get to where you want to go, so start asking yourself where you want to go.
14. Let go of anger toward ex lovers and family. We all deserve happiness and love; just because it is over doesn’t mean the love was wrong.
15. Let go of the need to do more and be more; for today, you’ve done the best you can, and that’s enough.
16. Let go of thinking you have to know how to make it happen; we learn the way on the way.
17. Let go of your money woes — make a plan to pay off debt and focus on your abundance.
18. Let go of trying to save or change people. Everyone has her own path, and the best thing you can do is work on yourself and stop focusing on others.
19. Let go of trying to fit in and be accepted by everyone. Your uniqueness is what makes you outstanding.
20. Let go of self-hate. You are not the shape of your body or the number on the scale. Who you are matters, and the world needs you as you are. Celebrate you!